Selling your home is an important decision and all aspects must be carefully considered including the potential profit you may stand to make and the time, emotions, and energy involved in the sale process.
Selling a home is also ripe for excitement, providing both a financial return and personal liberation. Read on for Kevin Crigger’s list of the six most common obstacles home sellers encounter — and how to conquer them.
1. Depersonalize your home
One of the most seamless ways to sever ties is to depersonalize your home. Removing personal photographs and momentos will not only help you begin the process of psychologically detaching from the home, it also helps a potential buyer to see your home as a blank canvas and help them visualize their own personal style in the property which can drive up interest and hopefully boost the sale price of your home.
2. Maintenance and repairs
Significant repairs and enhancements arrive with a high price tag. However, new roofs and remodeled kitchens figure into your listing price. Work with a skilled realtor who is closely connected to the building industry and understands the requirements of a home. This will make the most financially sound decisions when selecting which aspects of your property need to be upgraded.
Further, consider hiring an inspector to evaluate your home before listing it with a real estate agent. A professional eye can go a long way towards expediting the sale of your home while also conveying honesty and transparency to potential buyers.
3. Updating mechanicals
Living in a home ready for a showing at any moment is simply unsustainable and may add to your stress. Work with your realtor to:
- Ensure showings are realistically timed throughout the week while also considering prime times that buyers are able to view homes
- Set up a public open house on the weekend in an effort to draw more activity during a block of time freeing up the balance of the weekend for family related activities
- Provide access to virtual showings
- Set up an online (Facebook or Instagram) public open house
- Include a 3D walking tour of your home in your online marketing
- Include an agent video tour of your home in your online marketing
Pricing your home requires objectivity and expert counsel. Overpricing your home can result in it “resting” on the market for an extended, even indefinite time, which carries the possibility of undercutting your future negotiations. An accomplished Toronto real estate agent will consider everything in a home sale, including market conditions, comparative analyses, and timing.
6. Choosing the best agent to represent your most valuable possession
*in unit volume at Johnston & Daniel, Royal LePage R.E.S. Ltd., Borkerage